A Voluntary Donation
Southmont Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. was organized on April 29, 1957 by the citizens of the Southmont Community. During 1957 approximately one hundred eighty (180) members paid dues to join the department. B.C. Young and John R. Coppley donated two lots at 10545 NC Hwy 8 for the department and construction was started and completed by the end of that year. Most of the materials were donated and practically all of the labor was performed by the citizens of the community.
In March 1958, the department received delivery of a new Darley Champion fire truck, which had a five hundred (500) gallon booster tanker. Later that year they received a chassis from the Department of Civil Defense and a twenty three hundred (2300) gallon tank was installed by members and it was used as a tanker.
In 1969, a second section was built on the department. The first floor was the kitchen and bay area, the second floor was a meeting hall and sleeping quarters. This section of the building was also built by the members with some help from the community. The Ladies Auxiliary had fund raisers such as chicken pie sales to purchase furnishings for the building.
During the next few years, Southmont Fire Department had their Fire District approved and later became tax supported by people living in the Southmont Fire District. As time passed the fire department purchased another new truck and two more bays were built on making a four bay station.
High Rock Lake & Southmont Fire Department Growth
As the area around High Rock Lake began to build up the fire department continued to grow. In the mid 80’s, the department had two pumpers, a tanker, two brush trucks and an auxiliary support van. The department started to look at land for a new station. In 1993, the land was purchased for the site of our current station at 11030 NC Hwy 8. The department was built and opened for service in 1998.
Southmont Fire Department, Inc
In August 2004, the name was legally changed to Southmont Fire Department, Inc. In 2010, four full-time employees were added to make it a combination paid/volunteer department. The department is now manned 24/7 to provide better fire protection for our citizens. Today the department provides fire and EMS assist to the community with 5 full time employees, 5 part-time employees and 22 volunteers. The department provides its services with 3 pumpers, 2 tankers, 2 brush vehicles, support vehicle and small fire boat. The Board of Directors is made up of 15 community members and 1 firefighter. All fire department staff is issued gear and pagers and is dispatched through Davidson County 911 Center
Our Rockcrusher Road fire station is now fully operational.
Rockcrusher RD. Location